- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Poppy and/or sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on tops of rolls.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews for Kaiser Rolls
Sort By :
"What a terrific roll! My wife loves it when I make these. She just walked in from Yoga and got all excited seeing them rising LOLI use all organic ingredients, including organic yeast and substitute Organic Chia seeds for the poppy seeds just because I haven't found organic yet lolIt's a solid recipe, good roll. I prefer a very fluffy roll, so this batch I am letting the second rise go a little longer to see if that gets it for me. That's not to say these aren't well 'fluffed' lol. I grew up on Wonder bread so I like the little extra lol"
"Tried this recipe for the first time, but cut it in half because I didn't need 16. Unfortunately, I forgot to move the oven rack to the middle position, and scorched the bottoms! But the part that WAS edible--AMAZING! Light, perfect 'chewy' factor, wonderful flavor! Am making these again for French Dip this weekend! Yum!"
"The rolls were too small for true kaiser rolls. Next time I will make fewer. Otherwise they were very tasty."
"Love these...I made them for hamburgers and they were amazing!! Will definitely make these again... and Hit with the family too."
"Cut the recipe in half and made it in my bread machine. Used 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Also threw in some vital wheat gluten. Very good and looked nice, too."