- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Poppy and/or sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining warm water and sugar and 4 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg white and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with poppy and/or sesame seeds. With scissors, cut a 1/4-in.-deep cross on tops of rolls.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Reviews for Kaiser Rolls
Sort By :
"The rolls were too small for true kaiser rolls. Next time I will make fewer. Otherwise they were very tasty."
"Love these...I made them for hamburgers and they were amazing!! Will definitely make these again... and Hit with the family too."
"Cut the recipe in half and made it in my bread machine. Used 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Also threw in some vital wheat gluten. Very good and looked nice, too."
"THESE ARE AMAZING.My mother makes them all the time...she made them yesterday, infact, but they are already all gone! She just finished a fresh batch, and I'm sure they'll go just as quickly. They're light, fluffy, and not too sweet. Totes def a keeper!!"
"This was a wonderful recipe it neead onions in stead of the seeds and a lil more salt but urs are really good jst my whay i made it 2nd yea 2nd urs is defently 1st love iott<333333"