Jumpin' Espresso Bean Chili Recipe
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeno slices, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions in oil until tender. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, coffee granules, cocoa and salt; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with sour cream, onions, cheese and jalapeno slices if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 272 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 12 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.