Jumpin' Espresso Bean Chili Recipe
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeno slices, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the onions in oil until tender. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, coffee granules, cocoa and salt; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Serve with sour cream, onions, cheese and jalapeno slices if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients): 272 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 620mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 12g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Jumpin' Espresso Bean Chili
"Very tasty and filling."
"I followed this recipe exactly as written and the chili turned out extremely bitter. I had to add some more salt and some honey to it to make it edible. I think the chocolate & the coffee together is just too bitter and the kidney & black beans make it very bland also."
"I have recommended this recipe to friends!"
"GREAT! we kept thinking we might need to change something, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
"I made this for lunch today, and it was VERY GOOD. You really don't miss the meat. I've been trying healthy meals for my husband who just had a heart attack. Cutting back on meat and sweets, as he's also a diabetic."
"I agree with theeeyoreguy. I added a pumpkin and sour cream topper to mine and it was great. Who knew?"
"awesome...would definitely make again!"