Jumpin' Espresso Bean Chili Recipe
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- Sour cream, thinly sliced green onions, shredded cheddar cheese and pickled jalapeno slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute the onions in oil until tender. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, coffee granules, cocoa and salt; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with sour cream, onions, cheese and jalapeno slices if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Jumpin' Espresso Bean Chili
Sort By :
Very tasty and filling.
I followed this recipe exactly as written and the chili turned out extremely bitter. I had to add some more salt and some honey to it to make it edible. I think the chocolate & the coffee together is just too bitter and the kidney & black beans make it very bland also.
I have recommended this recipe to friends!
GREAT! we kept thinking we might need to change something, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I made this for lunch today, and it was VERY GOOD. You really don't miss the meat. I've been trying healthy meals for my husband who just had a heart attack. Cutting back on meat and sweets, as he's also a diabetic.