Jumbo Pineapple Yeast Rolls Recipe
Believe it or not, these big breakfast treats will fit right into a light eating plan. "A friend gave me the recipe for these yummy yeast rolls," notes Pat Walter of Pine island, Minnesota. I sometimes use the pineapple filling as a dressing for fruit salad, too. Delicious!"
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°), divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 15 maraschino cherries
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, butter, salt, and remaining milk and sugar. Beat in 4 cups flour until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 2. For filling, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Add the orange juice, pineapple, sugar, orange peel and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out into a 24-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 15 slices. Place cut side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan and a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Top each roll with a cherry.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over rolls. Yield: 15 rolls.
One roll equals 417 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 279 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC