"These gigantic molasses cookies remind me of the ones my grandmother used to make," remembers Joan Stull of Titusville, Florida. At nearly 4 inches across, they're nicely spiced, delightfully chewy and bound to be noticed!
- 3 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in molasses and eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls; roll in sugar. Place four cookies on a greased baking sheet at a time. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Jumbo Molasses Cookies in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p55
Reviews for Jumbo Molasses Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review