- 3 cups butter-flavored shortening
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 4 eggs
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in molasses and eggs. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls; roll in sugar. Place four cookies on a greased baking sheet at a time. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until edges are set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Jumbo Molasses Cookies
"I just read the review about flattening them a little. Not necessary with all sugar, but with splenda it may help."
"I've been making this recipe ever since I saw it in the magazine years ago. My family loves them. I make several batches during Thanksgiving and Christmas now to give away as gifts. Everyone who gets a taste loves them. The only " complaint" they have is how big they are and they " have" to eat the whole thing because it's so delicious. I do size them down at times. I've also substituted half of the sugar with Splenda and noticed that the cookies aren't as flat, which makes its easier to fit more on the cookie sheet. They come out just as delicious. But I wonder if I still need to refrigerate for an hour. In any case, enjoy this wonderful cookie, it makes the house smell heavenly!"
"Have made these several times! They ARE GREAT!!"
"Use olive oil in place of shortening - it's cheaper and faster!"