Jumbo Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls Recipe
Add some excitement to your Christmas or New Year's spread with these colorful rolls. The cheddar and jalapeno flavors are mild, but everyone loves the zesty taste.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Add the eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add cheese and jalapeno. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 3-in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Combine egg and water; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 roll equals 368 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC