Add some excitement to your Christmas or New Year's spread with these colorful rolls. The cheddar and jalapeno flavors are mild, but everyone loves the zesty taste.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6-1/2 to 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeno pepper
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Add the eggs, salt and 4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add cheese and jalapeno. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 3-in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Combine egg and water; brush over rolls. Bake at 375° for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Jumbo Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2009, p37
Reviews for Jumbo Jalapeno Cheddar Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review