Every Halloween, I'd have a batch of these cookies waiting for my kids when they came home from school so they could decorate their own. Eventually, they started bringing friends home to join in the fun.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Orange and green decorating icing or vanilla frosting and orange and green gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars; add the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with pumpkin. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Spread into 3-1/2-in. pumpkin shapes. Drop 1/2 teaspoon of dough at the top of each for stem.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Create jack-o'-lantern faces on cookies with decorating icing or tinted frosting. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Jumbo Jack-o'-Lantern Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p241
Reviews for Jumbo Jack-o'-Lantern Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2013
"Very tasty. Love the oatmeal!"