The recipe for these light cookies has been passed down from generation to generation. Have a little extra fun with frosting if you like. They freeze well, too!—Helen Brown, East Dover, Vermont
Featured In: 30 Recipes for Valentine's Day Cookies
- 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Confectioners' sugar
- Beat shortening and cocoa until blended. Beat in molasses, sugar and eggs. Beat in coffee. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; gradually beat into molasses mixture. Dough will be very soft. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a well floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are set, 14-16 minutes. Cool on pans baking sheets 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Jumbo Chocolate Cutouts in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016
Reviews for Jumbo Chocolate Cutouts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review