- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins. Yield: 6 muffins.
Reviews for Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
"Yes, these are very good! I made the frosting, but probably didn't need to have it. Will definitely make again. Very moist and love the texture."
"As a Volunteer Field Editor, I enjoy testing different recipes. These are fanstastic! Had to use butter because I realized I didn't have shortening when I was ready I make them. Best eaten day of baking because the frosting will get kind of gloppy the next day from the moisture Iof the muffins. Still taste great but don't look as nice if you're planning to take them somewhere. They don't even need the frosting, but it's very good and does set them apart from other banana muffin recipes. I made 12 regular size muffins. They were still quite large and rose up nicely."
"Good, moist muffin. The kids loved the caramel icing. Made them regular sized and cooked for 20 min. Definitely will be making these again!"
"These are seriously delicious...."
"These muffins are definitely a favorite in our house! I make them as regular size muffins and as mini. I always double the muffin recipe, but not the icing as it makes plenty. The muffins are good without icing, but I usually use it, as it is what sets them apart. However, the icing is difficult to work with, as it sets up very quickly. I usually just drizzle it over the muffins using the icing spatula. If it has gotten too thick, I'll just spread it on. Not as attractive, but just as delicious. These muffins disappear FAST!"
"Seriously the best muffins I've ever had! They were so moist and flavorful and delicious! I did NOT put the caramel icing on top as these are already plenty sweet. What I did do though was sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on them before baking and it just kinda melted into the muffin with a little bit of a crispy topping! It was so good! I can't wait for my next batch and for my bananas to go brown lol"
"These banana muffins are some of the best I've ever eaten!"
"Very yummy muffins! I haven't made the frosting yet but they are really good all on their own - tops went crispy and I LOVE that. Made 12 regular sized muffins and they took 19 mins to bake."
"I thought these were ok. I did use 12 regular size muffins, and added one more banana. I liked the muffins without the frosting. I am awful with frosting though, so I am sure it is something that I did. They are very sweet, so don't use more that a little on each muffin."