- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins. Yield: 6 muffins.
Reviews for Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
Sort By :
I thought these were ok. I did use 12 regular size muffins, and added one more banana. I liked the muffins without the frosting. I am awful with frosting though, so I am sure it is something that I did. They are very sweet, so don't use more that a little on each muffin.
These are absolutely delicious!!!!!
I made 12 regular size muffins, and they were so moist and flavorful. I reduced baking time to 20 min. and it was perfect. They were good without the caramel icing This will replace my banana bread recipe.
I was expecting amazing, and these weren't. I made 14 regular size cupcakes, and 20 minutes was too long. I should have checked them at 18 minutes. I still rated three stars because of the flavor. The Makeover Banana Nut Bread, was more moist and I gave it five stars.
We loved these! I added 1 tsp. baking powder and they were very light and tender. I baked 12 standard size muffins.