- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins. Yield: 6 muffins.
Reviews for Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
"These muffins are awesome, they didn't last long, the whole family gobbled them up. I would only ever use my great-great aunt's banana bread recipe, this recipe is very similar which is why I decided to try it. So glad I did!! Sorry Aunt Maggie, but this is my new banana bread recipe now."
"Good, moist muffin. The kids loved the caramel icing. Made them regular sized and cooked for 20 min. Definitely will be making these again!"
"These are seriously delicious...."
"These muffins are definitely a favorite in our house! I make them as regular size muffins and as mini. I always double the muffin recipe, but not the icing as it makes plenty. The muffins are good without icing, but I usually use it, as it is what sets them apart. However, the icing is difficult to work with, as it sets up very quickly. I usually just drizzle it over the muffins using the icing spatula. If it has gotten too thick, I'll just spread it on. Not as attractive, but just as delicious. These muffins disappear FAST!"
"Seriously the best muffins I've ever had! They were so moist and flavorful and delicious! I did NOT put the caramel icing on top as these are already plenty sweet. What I did do though was sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar on them before baking and it just kinda melted into the muffin with a little bit of a crispy topping! It was so good! I can't wait for my next batch and for my bananas to go brown lol"