Love banana bread? These flavorful muffins, drizzled with sweet caramel icing, will fit the bill in a big way. —Katherine McClelland, Deep Brook, Nova Scotia
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins. Yield: 6 muffins.
Originally published as Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins in Taste of Home February/March 2006, p29
Reviews for Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review