Jumbo Banana-Carrot Muffins Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, beat egg yolks until light and lemon-colored. Beat in honey and orange peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the bananas, carrots and applesauce.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter a third at a time.
- 3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 9 jumbo muffins.
1 each: 200 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Jumbo Banana-Carrot Muffins
"Excellent recipe! Just the hint of orange really makes it! I didn't have any applesauce so diced 3 small apples, microwaved until soft, worked great. Used 3 smallish bananas and added raisins! Also used heaping measurements of cinnamon & nutmeg indicated."
"I added the vanilla and 1/3c chopped pecans. Delicious! I will definitely make this recipe again"
"These muffins were wonderful! I followed the recipe as written, but I did add 1 tsp. of vanilla, as another person suggestged. I didn't have a jumbo muffin pan. I made 18 standard size muffins. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you so much for sharing. I will definitely be making this recipe again."
"loved loved these I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour and half cup of white flour,added 4 dates 1tbs cinnamon vanilla pinch of fennel and coconut 3 bananas because I didn't have applesauce and didn't have honey so I used maple syrup and I didn't add any sugar"
"very moist and I like the taste of the orange. My brother's girlfriend says its the best muffins she had in a while."
"Fantastic!! I didn't make them Jumbo and I had 21 muffins. These are only 2 weight watchers points. Even my pick kids and husband loved them!"
"my son is such a picky eater, and he loves these muffins, love how he is eating something healthy and loving it"
"We make our own carrot juice & I wanted a recipe that would use the pulp we have left after juicing. Instead of the shredded carrots, I used a loosely packed cup of carrot pulp. Zested an orange & this is a tasty little muffin. I don't have a jumbo muffin pan but made a dozen standard size muffins, baking for 20 minutes at 325. Good combination of flavors without one overpowering any of the others. Might add a splash of vanilla extract next time. Thanks for sharing this one with us."
"delicious, moist, and low-fat! My husband and I loved these :)"