- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 6 to 10 tablespoons ice water
- 5 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- SUGAR TOPPING:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- In a large bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. For filling, place raspberries in a large bowl; drizzle with lemon juice and almond extract. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Sprinkle over raspberries and toss gently to coat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut out stars or other shapes using cookie cutters. Place top pastry over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. If desired, decorate top with cutouts.
- Bake 40 minutes. For topping, mix sugar and cinnamon. Brush top of pie with milk; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Juicy Raspberry Pie
Sort By :
"I received several compliments for this pie. Rather simple with the only relative complexity coming with the decoration. I was pressed for time so I used a pre-made crust. I will use my own recipe for an all-butter crust next time."
"What a delicious recipe! Pie is my husbands favorite dessert and we have raspberry bushes. Since I was in a hurry, I used store bought pie crust, but will try this recipe the next time!"
"I used my own pie crust recipe for this (all butter recipe), but followed the filling to a 'T'. Absolutely delicious! I picked fresh black raspberries from the local orchard then made this. My husband said it was the best pie he's ever eaten in his life."
"Recipe saved! THANK YOU, THANK YOU FOR SHARING, TOH!! J."
"I made this pie with frozen raspberries. I substituted tapioca flour for the flour. Very good pie making directions in the June July 2014 Taste of home issue"