Juicy Herb-Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 8 fresh sage leaves plus 4 fresh sage sprigs, divided
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- 4 medium onions
- 5 celery ribs
- 5 medium carrots
- 3 medium parsnips
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup oil, garlic, salt and pepper. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub mixture under the skin. Place sage leaves and two thyme sprigs under the skin. Secure skin to underside of breast with toothpicks.
- 2. Cut onions into wedges and the celery, carrots and parsnips into 2-in. lengths. Place about a fifth of the onions, celery and carrots in the turkey cavity; add sprigs and remaining thyme. Place remaining vegetables in a roasting pan. Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables. Brush with remaining oil.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving turkey. Discard vegetables; use drippings to make gravy. Yield: 14 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 599 calories, 32 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 245 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 72 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer