I still have the card for this recipe that a friend gave me 25 years ago—the stains on it attest to its frequent use! The chicken turns out juicy and tender, and the sauce makes a tasty gravy.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (4 to 5 pounds), cut up
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, brown chicken on all sides in oil in batches; drain. Place the chicken in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish and an 8-in. square baking dish.
- Combine broth, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, curry powder, paprika, salt, mustard, chili powder and pepper; pour over chicken. Sprinkle with soup mix. Cover and bake 55-65 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thigh reads 180°. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Barbecued Chicken in Taste of Home August/September 2005, p 7
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Juicy Barbecued Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review