- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom of a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan with parchment paper; grease paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. In another bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and, if desired, walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; remove paper. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews for Judy's Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
"Delicious and moist. Used mini chocolate chips so you get chocolate in every bite."
"We love this bread! I don't change a thing."
"Soooo delicious! I was a little skeptical of so much sugar, but I made it as directed and it turned out perfect. Nice and moist, this is an definite keeper!"
"Pretty tasty. I cut the sugar in mine and it was fine....I think I actually could have cut the sugar a bit more! The kids and hubby thought it was great!"
"This was so delicious and very easy. Will definitely make again!"
"My family thought this bread was delicious; rated it "tied" with other the banana bread that I make. That's saying a lot! As another reviewer suggested, I used lite sour cream because I didn't have any buttermilk but still wanted the "bulk" that buttermilk gives. I also reduced the sugar by 1/2 cup. Doubled the recipe & I'm glad I did. Next time I will make one loaf without the chocolate chips, though, because I actually prefer my banana bread plain. One of my sons said he'd like to try it with half chocolate chips & half peanut butter chips, so I may try it that way. A definite keeper!"
"This bread was good but a little dry. I think next time I will take it out a little sooner. It actually tasted better the next day."
"Kids requested banana bread for breakfast and this was a huge hit with the surprise mini chocolate chips inside. Very good flavor."
"This is the BEST Banana Bread I have ever tasted without adding the chocolate chips. We also use sweetened almond milk (60 cal) instead of buttermilk."
"Wow - this was delicious, moist and not your typical (sometimes boring) banana bread !"