Jubilee Sundaes Recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Drain cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. Stir cherry juice into cornstarch mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in the lemon juice and peel, extract and reserved cherries. Cool to room temperature. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 cups sauce.
3 tablespoons sauce (calculated without ice cream) equals 64 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.