Festive sweet and tart cherry sauce with a lemon accent dresses up ice cream or pound cake.
—Christine Frazier, Auburndale, Florida
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Drain
- cherries, reserving juice; set cherries aside. Stir cherry juice
- into cornstarch mixture until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium
- heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until
- Remove from the heat; stir in the lemon juice and peel, extract and
- reserved cherries. Cool to room temperature. Serve with ice cream.
- Yield: 2 cups sauce.
Nutritional Facts: 3 tablespoons sauce (calculated without ice cream) equals 64 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.