Jolly Jelly Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Red jelly of your choice
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups flour; mix well. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes. Add the egg yolks, egg, sugar, salt, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Beat in butter and remaining flour. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 3. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Cool for 2-3 minutes; cut a small slit with a sharp knife on one side of each doughnut. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small round tip. Fill with jelly. Fill each doughnut with about 1 teaspoon jelly. Carefully roll warm doughnuts in sugar. Serve warm. Yield: About 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 185 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Jolly Jelly Doughnuts
"I also halved the recipe, for my family size. I filled with lemon filling and *swoon*They are sooo yummy! They are in my KEEPER file for sure! Can wait to try with other fillings."
"Made these yesterday. They were great. I made 1/2 recipe, made 18 donuts."