Jolly Jelly Doughnuts
Just looking at these plump jelly-filled doughnuts will make your mouth water. There's nothing like them. —Lee Bremson, Kansas City, Missouri
30 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + rising Cook: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 7 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Red jelly of your choice
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups flour; mix
- well. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes. Add the egg yolks,
- egg, sugar, salt, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Beat in butter
- and remaining flour. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm
- place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2 in.
- thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a lightly
- greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled,
- about 35 minutes.