Jolly Jelly Doughnuts Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Red jelly of your choice
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 2 cups flour; mix well. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes. Add the egg yolks, egg, sugar, salt, lemon peel and vanilla; mix well. Beat in butter and remaining flour. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 35 minutes.
- 3. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. Cool for 2-3 minutes; cut a small slit with a sharp knife on one side of each doughnut. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a very small round tip. Fill bag with jelly. Fill each doughnut with about 1 teaspoon jelly. Carefully roll warm doughnuts in sugar. Serve warm. Yield: About 2-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 185 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 125mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Jolly Jelly Doughnuts
"I also halved the recipe, for my family size. I filled with lemon filling and *swoon*They are sooo yummy! They are in my KEEPER file for sure! Can wait to try with other fillings."
"Made these yesterday. They were great. I made 1/2 recipe, made 18 donuts."