It's so much fun to decorate cookies with children's help. We created gingery moose-shaped cookies to go with a book made especially for my niece's third-grade class. The crispy golden brown cookies stole the show.—Jenet Cattar, Neptune Beach, FL
Featured In: 15 Best Gingerbread Men Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vanilla frosting, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and water. In another bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Freeze 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 5-in. moose-shaped cookie cutter. Carefully place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. If desired, pipe with vanilla frosting. Freeze option: Transfer wrapped disks to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Prepare and bake as directed. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as JoJo's Ginger Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2015, p16
Reviews for JoJo's Ginger Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review