Joe Froggers Recipe
Large, soft and chewy, the cookies make a great snack. The classic recipe have a warm blend of spices that seem to be more pronounced the second day. Your family is sure to ask you to make them again. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, whisk molasses, hot water and rum. In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, ginger, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls and place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with bottom of a custard cup dipped in sugar.
- 3. Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Joe Froggers
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2015
"I found 10 minutes was enough time to bake these cookies. They didn't last long around my house! Excellent and a nice taste of Old New England."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC