Joe Froggers Recipe
Large, soft and chewy, these molasses cookies make a great snack. The classic recipe have a warm blend of spices that seem to be more pronounced the second day. Your family is sure to ask you to make them again. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, whisk molasses, hot water and rum. In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, ginger, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls and place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with bottom of a custard cup dipped in sugar.
- 3. Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Joe Froggers
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC