Joe Froggers Recipe
Large, soft and chewy, these molasses cookies make a great snack. This classic recipe has a warm blend of spices that seems stronger the second day. Your family will definitely ask you to make these again.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, whisk molasses, hot water and rum. In another bowl, whisk the flour, salt, ginger, baking soda, cloves, nutmeg and allspice; add to creamed mixture alternately with molasses mixture, beating after each addition. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-1/2-in. balls and place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/2-in. thickness with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- 3. Bake 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Joe Froggers
Reviewed Mar. 9, 2015
"I found 10 minutes was enough time to bake these cookies. They didn't last long around my house! Excellent and a nice taste of Old New England."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC