Jim's Potato Soup
Our kids claimed they didn't like potato soup. But after one taste of my version, they came clamoring for seconds! The secret is adding cayenne pepper to give it a little kick, plus topping it with cheese and bacon bits.Jim Wick, Orlando, Florida
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cooked
- Chives, shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits, optional
- In a 3-qt. Dutch oven or kettle, saute celery, carrot and onion in
- butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk;
- cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add bouillon, parsley,
- salt, seasoned salt and cayenne. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Cube half of the potatoes and mash the other half; add
- all to the soup. Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish individual servings with chives, cheese and bacon bits if
- desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).