Jicama Slaw with Peanuts
Peanuts add interest and crunch to a crisp coleslaw featuring jicama and tangerines. For a creamy dressing, I sometimes stir in two heaping tablespoons of mayonnaise or yogurt.—Donna Noel, Gray, Maine
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium jicama, julienned
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in
- tangerines and cilantro. Chill until serving. Just before serving,
- stir in peanuts. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 144 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 254 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.