Jewish Apple Cake Recipe
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3-1/2 cups sliced peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar and brown sugar until blended. Add eggs and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the applesauce, orange juice, oil and vanilla; beat until smooth. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture and mix well. In a bowl, toss the apples, walnuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Spoon a third of the batter into prepared pan. Top with half of the apple mixture. Top with another third of the batter and the remaining apple mixture. Top with remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Jewish Apple Cake in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p52
Reviews for Jewish Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review