When I moved here from Malta more than 20 years ago, a kind neighbor lady took me under her wing and baked many cookies for me. This is one of her recipes that I treasure.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup raspberry or apricot preserves
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and extract.
- Gradually add flour. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy
- to handle.
- Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the
- center of each ball.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are lightly
- browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Fill with preserves. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 78 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.