Jeweled Plum Tartlets
I developed these as a way to enjoy the seasonal plums in Michigan, shares Nicole Filizetti of Jacksonville, Florida. The red plums shine like jewels in creamy custard when they emerge from the oven.
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 medium plums, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter
- until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and up
- the sides of two 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake
- at 325° for 10 minutes or until set.
- Arrange plum slices in crusts. In another bowl, combine the egg yolk,
- milk, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and remaining flour. Spoon over plums;
- sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center
- comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: 1 tartlet (calculated without ice cream) equals 459 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 163 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium,