Jeweled Plum Tartlets Recipe
I developed these as a way to enjoy the seasonal plums in Michigan, shares Nicole Filizetti of Jacksonville, Florida. The red plums shine like jewels in creamy custard when they emerge from the oven.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:2 servings
- 1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 medium plums, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar, divided
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of two 4-in. fluted tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake at 325° for 10 minutes or until set.
- 2. Arrange plum slices in crusts. In another bowl, combine the egg yolk, milk, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and remaining flour. Spoon over plums; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar.
- 3. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with ice cream. Yield: 2 servings.
1 tartlet (calculated without ice cream) equals 459 calories, 26 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 163 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC