Candied fruits give a stained-glass look to Raymond, Alberta field editor Ruth Ann Stelfox's specialties. "They're like shortbread, but dressed up," she says.
72 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup each chopped red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating
- well after each. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed
- mixture. Stir in raisins, nuts, cherries and pineapple; mix well.
- Shape into 2-in. rolls; wrap in waxed paper or foil. Freeze at least
- 2 hours.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire
- racks. Yield: 12-14 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 136 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.