Jeweled Cookie Slices Recipe
Field editor Rosella Peters of Gull Lake, Saskatchewan notes, "I often mark recipes with 'G' for good, 'VG' for very good; this seasonal favorite is marked 'VVG'! I usually double the recipe."
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup red and green candied cherries or chopped candied pineapple
- 2 tablespoons chopped blanched almonds
- 1. Line an 8x4-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. In a large bowl, beat melted butter and sugars until blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in cherries and almonds. Transfer to prepared pan. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Invert dough onto a cutting board; remove plastic wrap. Cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC