Jeweled Cookie Slices Recipe
Field editor Rosella Peters of Gull Lake, Saskatchewan notes, "I often mark recipes with 'G' for good, 'VG' for very good; this seasonal favorite is marked 'VVG'! I usually double the recipe."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple or red and green candies cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped blanched almonds
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in pineapple and almonds. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Transfer to a foil-lined 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 2. Invert dough onto a cutting board; remove foil. Cut into 1/4-in. slices; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 87 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC