Jeweled Coconut Drops Recipe
Red raspberry preserves add a festive flair to these tender coconut cookies. Perfect for potlucks and cookie exchanges, these shaped cookies never last long when I make them for my husband and two sons. -Ellen Marie Byler Munfordville, Kentucky
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. YIELD:21 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 cup seedless raspberry preserves, warmed
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, orange juice and almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 3 cups of coconut. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. Shape dough into 2-in. balls; roll in remaining coconut. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each ball.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Fill each cookie with preserves. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 220 calories, 11 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC