Jeweled Coconut Cookies Recipe
I often bake these bite-sized cookies with two flavors of preserves for special occasions.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup each apricot and peach preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg white. Place coconut in another bowl. Roll dough into 1-in. balls; roll in egg white and coconut. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make an indentation in the center of each.
- 3. Bake at 325° for 19-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon of preserves into each warm cookie. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cool completely. Yield: about 2 dozen.
2 cookies (calculated without confectioners' sugar) equals 178 calories, 10 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC