Jewel Nut Bars Recipe
These colorful bars, with the eye-catching appeal of candied cherries and the crunchy goodness of mixed nuts, are certain to become a holiday favorite year after year. I get lots of compliments on the rich, chewy crust and the combination of sweet and salty flavors.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1-1/2 cups green and red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg. Add salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
- 3. Spoon evenly over crust. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 145 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 119 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC