These colorful bars, with the eye-catching appeal of candied cherries and the crunchy goodness of mixed nuts, are certain to become a holiday favorite year after year. I get lots of compliments on the rich, chewy crust and the combination of sweet and salty flavors.
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1-1/2 cups green and red candied cherries, halved
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a bowl, combine flour and 1/3 cup brown sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a lightly greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat egg. Add salt and remaining brown sugar. Stir in the nuts, cherries and chocolate chips.
- Spoon evenly over crust. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until set. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Jewel Nut Bars in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p28
Reviews for Jewel Nut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review