- 6 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 pounds), halved and thinly sliced
- 3 large sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 3 large onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 12 bun-length beef hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, red peppers and onions. In a small bowl, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper; add to potato mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to two 13x9-in. disposable foil pans; cover with foil. Place pans on grill rack over medium heat; cook, covered, 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
- Grill hot dogs, covered, over medium heat 7-9 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Place buns on grill, cut side down; grill until lightly toasted. Place hot dogs and potato mixture in buns. Serve with remaining potato mixture. Yield: 12 servings (10 cups potato mixture).
Reviews for Jersey-Style Hot Dogs
"YES! Jersey Italian Dogs are the best! Once you try the fried peppers, onions and the best part- the potatoes!! on a hot dog - you'll never forget it! this is delicious! Adjust the amount of garlic to taste- I just use garlic powder."
"Reminds me of ***e Dee's in Newark. You can't get pizza bread in S. Jersey, so I use good Italian rolls. These are the best."
"Not the best combination in my opinion.........serving the potatoes as a side was fine ....I knew it sounded like too much garlic, so I didn't use that much. But we just did your regular relish, onion and mustard on the hot dogs after trying one with the potatoes on it , it wasn't anything special."
"Fantastic recipe!Tomorrow will be the THIRD time I am preparing these Italian hot dogs.Thanks for the healthy prep and the time saver!"
"I love garlic and potatoes. When I say this I thought PERFECT. It turned out NOT!!Cut the amount of garlic in half. It is overwhelming. I will not be making it again."