- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup jam or jelly
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Beat in eggs, extracts and lemon peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Coat bottom of a glass with cooking spray, then dip in sugar. Flatten cookies with prepared glass, redipping in sugar as needed.
- Place 1/4 teaspoon jelly in the center of each cookie. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Jelly-Topped Sugar Cookies
"My mom has been making these easy sugar cookies since she was a child. A great sugar cookie recipe to use when out of butter! Like my mom and other reviewers, I do occasionally need to add an additional extra table spoon of flour. Don't let that fact scare you from this tasty cookie! Good with or without jelly topping. As a volunteer food editor with Taste of Home I love using these classic recipes."
"I've made these amazing cookies and my family loved them. I tweaked the ingredients a bit and they turned out delicious."
"I don't see any issue between the ingredients and the instructions. Mine came out a little spread so I added a tablespoon of flour and they were great!"
"This cookie was spread too much and the batter was too runny and could not be pressed down as directed. The instructions in the cookbook itself are correct, but here they are wrong."