There's no need to run to the bakery for delicious jelly doughnuts! These sweet treats are lighter than air. I've been fixing them for 25 years for my husband, our two daughters and their families. They disappear almost as fast as I make them.
-Kathy Westendorf, Westgate, Iowa
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons jelly or jam
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl,
- combine milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg yolks, salt, yeast mixture
- and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour
- to form a soft dough (do not knead)
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let
- rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 10
- times. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in.
- round cutter. Place about 1/2 teaspoon jelly in the center of half