- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons jelly or jam
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg yolks, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead)
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead about 10 times. Divide dough in half.
- Roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place about 1/2 teaspoon jelly in the center of half of the circles; brush edges with egg white. Top with remaining circles; press edges to seal tightly.
- Place on greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Roll warm doughnuts in remaining sugar. Yield: 16 doughnuts.
Reviews for Jelly Doughnuts
Sort By :
"You do not say when/how to use the jelly"
"I have tried several doughnut recipes over the years, and these are by far, the easiest, tastiest ones ever! Plus, the recipe doesn't make a huge number, so it's perfect for my family. Thank you!"
"This was my first attempt at making doughnuts and it was a smashing success!! So tasty and light and fresh...they were wonderful!"