Jelly Bean Brittle
"Here's a fun version of brittle that's perfect for Easter," suggests Kathy Kittell of Lenexa, Kansas. "The jelly beans add both color and flavor."
20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/2 cups miniature jelly beans
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Cube remaining
- butter and set aside. Line two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans with
- foil; brush with melted butter. Arrange jelly beans evenly in pans.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring
- to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until a candy
- thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Stir in cubed butter
- and salt. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 300° (hard-crack
- stage). Stir in baking soda (mixture will foam). Quickly pour over
- jelly beans. Spread with a buttered metal spatula. Cool; break into
- pieces. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.