Jazzed-Up Green Bean Casserole
This is not your mama's green bean casserole, but she'll still be raving about it! After trying many variations, I decided to give this old standby extra kick. The crunchy texture, cheesy goodness and bacon make it a hit. —Scott Rugh, Portland, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5-1/2 hours
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) French-fried onions
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the green beans, soup, water
- chestnuts, milk, bacon, pepper and paprika. Cover and cook on low
- for 5-6 hours or until beans are tender; stir in cheese. Cover and
- cook for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions.
- Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 200 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 862 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.