- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 4 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) French-fried onions
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the green beans, soup, water chestnuts, milk, bacon, pepper and paprika. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until beans are tender; stir in cheese. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Jazzed-Up Green Bean Casserole
"Way too much liquid. I tried to make this recipe several times with minor changes, and no matter what, it came out too soupy. Will not make this again."
"Great recipe! I give it only 4 stars because I realized, after making this in the crockpot, that this combination of ingredients doesn't mix and set properly when cooked this way. It just tasted unfinished and like something was missing. I baked leftovers and they are scrumptious!!! Will make this again and again, just will make sure I bake as a casserole rather than in the crockpot."
"While I liked the idea of the crock pot, I had some trouble with soupiness and the cheese. I had to thicken mine by removing the lid of the slow cooker during the last half hour of cooking....which I then had an issue with the cheese not melting correctly. I won't blame the recipe...just some of the mechanics of it. I thought it tasted really nice though...and I omitted the water chestnuts (not a fan) and added more bacon and onions as well. Very tastey and made great left overs!!"
"I made this recipe for Thanksgiving and my family really loved it. I did make a few changes. I cut the water chestnuts into strips to make it easier to pick up with the beans. I also added 3 extra strips of bacon cuz we all love bacon. I added soy sauce for more flavor and I bought the bigger can of onions and crumbled 2 or 3 handfulls into the beans when I added the cheese. I cooked it for 6 hours. The beans came out nice and tender. There wasn't any left. I'm gonna make it for Chrstmas Eve too."
"I made this for the first time.. quick and easy. the only thing i found it to somewhat soupy so next time ill just cut back on the milk...will be making this again"
"Definitely, Voodoo Witch....you must have put a hex it! It was wonderful. I used can green beans, though"
"The flavor was okay and I liked the addition of the water chestnuts but what a soupy mess! There was way too much liquid."
"Made this for Thanksgiving and everyone loved it. I will make it every year!"