Java Roast Beef
Coffee adds richness to the gravy, which is perfect for sopping up with crusty bread or draping over mashed potatoes. —Charla Sackmann, Orange City, Iowa
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, salt and pepper; rub over beef. Transfer
- to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Pour coffee around meat. Cook, covered, on
- low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking
- juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small
- bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into
- cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until
- thickened. Serve with meat.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3 ounces cooked beef with 2-1/2 tablespoons gravy equals 199 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 3 lean meat.