- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in applesauce. In a small bowl, whisk buttermilk, coffee, coffee granules and vanilla until granules are dissolved; gradually add to butter mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add to butter mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in 1/4 cup pecans.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Java Muffins in Simple & Delicious August/September 2013, p36
Reviews for Java Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2013
"why this named as Java Muffins ?"
Reviewed Jul. 17, 2013
"Wonderful! These moist muffins are delicious for breakfast, snack, or coffee break. I have even made them substituting the whole wheat flour for buckwheat and the all-purpose for gluten free flour blend."