Japanese Steak Salad Recipe
- 3 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 boneless beef sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup fresh snow peas
- 3 cups sliced Chinese or napa cabbage
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1/3 cup uncooked Minute® White Rice
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour 1/3 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. For dressing, add onions, sugar and sesame oil to the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 2. Preheat broiler. In a small saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add peas. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place peas in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Combine the cabbage, romaine and peas; place on a serving platter.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Place beef on broiler pan. Broil beef 4-6 in. from the heat 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- 4. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Arrange the carrot, cucumber and radishes on cabbage mixture. Top with rice and beef; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving equals 298 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 80 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.