- 3 tablespoons sherry or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 boneless beef sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1-1/4 pounds)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup fresh snow peas
- 3 cups sliced Chinese or napa cabbage
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Pour 1/3 cup into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 2 hours. For dressing, add onions, sugar and sesame oil to the remaining marinade. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Preheat broiler. In a small saucepan, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add peas. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place peas in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Combine the cabbage, romaine and peas; place on a serving platter.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place beef on broiler pan. Broil beef 4-6 in. from the heat 8-10 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions. Arrange the carrot, cucumber and radishes on cabbage mixture. Top with rice and beef; drizzle with dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Japanese Steak Salad
"This took some time to prepare due to the number of steps but it was well worth the effort. I made this quite some time ago and have been craving it ever since but couldn't find the recipe again. I'm thrilled that I finally remembered to search for it online and I'm glad searching by the ingredients is so easy since I couldn't remember the name. I can't wait to make it again!"