Jane's Chili Recipe
- 1 pound dried kidney beans
- 9 cups water
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cans (16 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) green chilies
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Rinse beans. Place in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; cover with water and bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. In the same kettle, bring beans and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender. Drain (beans should measure 6 cups) and set aside. In a large skillet, brown beef and onion. Drain fat. Combine beans, beef mixture and all remaining ingredients in a kettle or Dutch oven. Simmer for about 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 391 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 11g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Jane's Chili
"Very Good Chili! I didn't have the green chiles or stewed tomatoes, so I substituted 2 cans of Rotel and 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes....very tasty!"