- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, green pepper, celery, jalapenos and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, water, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 229 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 502 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.