- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1. In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, green pepper, celery, jalapenos and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, water, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups: 229 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Jambalaya
"Simple, and tasty!"
"SO GOOD! Thank you"
"This was good but it didn't have much kick. I had to add creole seasoning to taste to give it more flavor. I also added smoked sausage to give it a little more flavor."
"Very good but I ended up adding more jalepenos and cayenne pepper to add more heat."
"This is good with diced ham instead of chicken as well."