Jambalaya with Turkey Sausage
This is a surprisingly light and tasty dish. The Cajun seasoning adds so much flavor and will impress your guests at how delicious it is.—Lynn Desjardins, Atkinson, New Hampshire
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 4 ounces smoked turkey sausage, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery with leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a large nonstick skillet lightly coated with cooking spray, saute
- chicken for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until liquid
- is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for
- 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 287 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 974 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 19 g protein.