Quick, easy and delicious is how Norlene Razak describes her fantastic, full-flavored skillet supper. “It remains a real standby recipe for me,” writes the Kyle, Texas cook. “I can always turn out a tasty batch of it in a hurry for unexpected company, yet it's a little more special than many spur-of-the-minute meals.”
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken in butter over medium heat until
- no longer pink. Add the kielbasa, tomatoes, broth, green pepper and
- onion; bring to a boil. Stir in the rice, salt if desired and hot
- pepper sauce. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5
- minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (prepared with reduced-fat butter, turkey sausage and reduced-sodium chicken broth; calculated without salt) equals 311 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 742 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.