This cold rice salad has a little hint of spice for that classic Jambalaya kick. Shrimp, tomatoes, ham and peppers give it color and crunch. —Karen Rahn, Hixon, Tennessee
Recommended: 34 Best Mardi Gras Recipes
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 pounds peeled and deveined cooked shrimp (31-40 per pound)
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, julienned
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Prepare rice according to package directions; cool. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add ham and onion; cook and stir until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add next six ingredients; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
- Combine rice, ham mixture, shrimp, celery and peppers. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours. Add tomatoes; toss to combine. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Jambalaya Rice Salad in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Jambalaya Rice Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review