Jambalaya Mix Recipe
- 3 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon dried minced chives
- 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Divide into three equal batches; store in airtight containers in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: about 3 batches (3-1/3 cups total).
- 2. To prepare jambalaya: In a saucepan, bring water and green pepper to a boil. Stir in 1 cup jambalaya mix; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 3. In another saucepan, heat tomato sauce and sausage. Cook shrimp in boiling water until pink; drain. Stir into sausage mixture. Serve with rice mixture. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 423 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 163 mg cholesterol, 1,335 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.