- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, green pepper, celery, jalapenos and garlic in oil until chicken is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, water, thyme, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer 6-8 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Jambalaya
"Simple, and tasty!"
"SO GOOD! Thank you"
"This was good but it didn't have much kick. I had to add creole seasoning to taste to give it more flavor. I also added smoked sausage to give it a little more flavor."
"Very good. I used 14oz of smoked turkey sausage in place of the chicken, reduced the onion to 1/2 large, and added 1/4 tsp. of dried red pepper in place of the jalapeno peppers and cayenne to reduce the heat for the kids. Still very flavorful! Excellent with corn bread and honey butter."
"Very good but I ended up adding more jalepenos and cayenne pepper to add more heat."